[MA-SOC] Event Reminder: BRIGHT EYES AT THE APOCALYPSE - Monday 21 January, 8 p.m.

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 18:54:14 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Jill Sophia <viaparva at gmail.com> wrote:

> "BRIGHT EYES AT THE APOCALYPSE: EXPLORING THE END OF THE WORLD IN JAPANESE
> ANIMATION"
> ~ An Illustrated Lecture with JR Pepper ~
> When:  Monday 21 January, 8 p.m.
> Where:  Observatory, 543 Union Street (@Nevins), Brooklyn 11215
> Event Link:
> http://tinyurl.com/BrightEyes01212013

> Anime such as Akira, Princess Mononoke, X/1999, and Neon Genesis Evangelion
> have painstakingly detailed worlds devastated by war, disease, technology
> and the fall of civilization. Why has the world of anime embraced such a
> macabre event? This lecture by JR PEPPER* will examine the phenomenon of
> the post-apocalyptic Earth in anime as well as explore the current trends.
>
> *JR PEPPER is a photographer, archivist and full-time geek. Her writing can
> be found on Pink Ray Gun.com and she has given panels at New York Comic
> Con, New York Anime Fest, Salon Con, Big Apple Anime Fest and Tokyo in
> Tulsa.
>
> OBSERVATORY is located at 543 Union Street (corner of Nevins Street) in the
> Gowanus section of Park Slope, Brooklyn. Entrance is on Nevins Street, at
> the end of an alley to the right of the building -- look for the sign that
> says "Proteus Gowanus". By subway, take the R train to the Union Street
> station and walk two blocks west; also accessible by F or G train (details
> at Directions page on Observatory site).
>
> Hope to see many of you there!

A podcast I watched years ago explained the Japanese's fascination
with apocalyptic settings in anime and manga.
It has much to do with the reality that they are the only people in the
world who have experienced first hand the horror of what a nuclear war
could be like.
Take what happened in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and spread that out across the
entire planet.

Now you understand why. This became a part of their societal consciousness
and is thus reflected in their pop culture.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
https://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/

"Faith is not faith in anything. Faith is the trust, without any proof or
supporting evidence, that all is well and that all will be well."
-Q'uo

"When you change the way you look at something, what you look at changes."
-Ancient Wisdom

Free Your PC, Open Your Mind www.ubuntu.com