[MA-SOC] Fall Survey meeting - This Sunday!

Mandisa Washington mandisaw at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 20:20:57 EDT 2011

It's that time of the year when we pick new shows to add to our regular lineup! Whether you're in the mood for comedy, action, drama, or flatout weirdness, now's your chance to vote.

We've got 6 candidates to consider for 3 spots, to join our ongoing scifi actioner Darker than Black.

On the wacky side, we've got Squid Girl, about a monster squid come to avenge the seas, only it comes in the form of an eight-year-old girl. Hard to take a "monster" like that seriously, especially when she turns out to be super-naïve about life on land.

For a more period feel, we've got Otome Youkai Zakuro, an alternate history series pairing human soldiers with half-human girls from the demon/spirit world. Can spirits find a place for themselves in a newly modernizing Japan? Can the girls trust their new human partners?

On the weirder side, there's Kore wa Zombie, desu-ka? a wild romp through a very strange harem, centered on a boy whose zombie-afterlife proves far more exciting than his alive-life ever was. Magical girls, silent necromancers, and ninja vampires - you're welcome.

More weirdness, but in a more serious package comes from Durarara!!, an eclectic ensemble story about the intersecting lives of the oddball residents of Ikebukuro, the "Brooklyn of Tokyo". A healthy helping of scifi and the supernatural keep you drawn deeply into this jazzy, off-the-wall slice-of-life drama.

Riding the line between comedy and drama is Tiger & Bunny, a cross between X-Men and Bladerunner, where superpowered mutants save the day with corporate sponsors and huge TV audiences watching. Things take a darker turn as an old crime in new hero Barnaby's (aka Bunny) past casts a long, layered shadow over the heroes' lives.

Last but not least, we've got one more entry featuring "grown-up" characters, this time in the form of an all-female otaku boarding house in Princess Jellyfish. When their home is threatened by an ambitious real estate broker femme fatale, it takes a special kind of "femme" to help them out.

Charlie will be a guest-host for this meeting, so feel free to ask questions if this is your first survey meeting. As always, arrive early to get a shot at watching all six candidates, and you'll vote for your 3 picks at the end.

Don't forget to bring $3 for the room charge, and bring a great appetite for anime!

Ciao,
Mandisa