[MA-SOC] Con Dinner!

Mandisa Washington mandisaw at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 00:57:23 EDT 2010

Do you like eating, but sometimes wish you could do it while talking about anime? Or do you like talking about anime, but wish that it didn't get in the way of your mealtime? Do you find yourself spending all day at a convention only to pass out from hunger? (Don't do that - it's a *real* downer.)

Generally when there's a convention that's local, and/or a bunch of Metro folks are going to, we like to have a nice group dinner to have some face-time and chat about anime (or manga, or sci-fi, or comics, or whatever geek pursuit strikes your fancy). There's sometimes drinking, generally eating, and always good company. This weekend, the NY Comic Con/Anime Fest will be at Javitz, so even though that's at the ass-end of the West Side, it pretty much counts as local. And many Metro people are going to be there (and be square! *grin*).

----------------------
Details!
- What: Convention Dinner - chat about con stories, favorite anime, "the industry", your cat, whatever!

- Where: Annie Moore's, 50 E 43rd Street, betw. Madison & Vanderbilt Ave. (opp. Grand Central Terminal) - http://www.anniemooresnyc.com
- Meet at Javitz Level 2 - the promenade level where Registration generally is - near the convention shuttle stop (Shuttle #1 to Grand Central). Here's the Javitz map - http://www.javitscenter.com/Default.aspx?cmsid=12

- When: *This Saturday*, Oct. 9, meet @ Javitz by 7:30pm or meet @ the restaurant by 8pm

- Why: To have fun and camaraderie and all that good shi... er, stuff.

- How: The restaurant takes cash or credit, and the prices run about $15-$25 for a meal, plus more for appetizers/alcohol, if you choose, so plan accordingly.

- Who: Shout-out if you're coming, so we know to expect you. I made a reservation, so they know we're a big group, but I like/need to keep a count. If your plans change, or if you're not sure yet, just make sure to have a way to contact a fellow Metro person who's going so you can stay up-to-date.

Now, the Great Recession may have cleared your schedule - and your wallet (seriously, they're trying not to call it the Great Depression II), but there's always a good time to be had at these dinners. We don't check badges, so even if you're not going to the convention, you're more than welcome to join us at dinner.

Dan's eaten at this restaurant before, and they're an upbeat, clean, tourist-free place, with a wide range of good food at decent prices (it's more of an English pub-flavored "normal" restaurant - feel free to check out the menu on their site). There's more than enough room for our group, either in the back or downstairs if the bar noise is too much (they also have pics on their site).

The way this generally works is that we meet up around 7-7:30pm in Javitz and walk/bus together over to the restaurant. In this case, we probably want to use the convention shuttle, since the M42 bus no longer goes to Javitz, but the con shuttle does go to Grand Central, and runs until 8:30pm. If the shuttle's a no-go, or if you miss the group, you can hoof it up to 42nd Street and catch the crosstown bus there or share a cab. (If you decide to walk, please try to go with a group - the West Side is still pretty sketchy until well, Broadway, IMO.)

Any questions, ask away. Hope to see some new faces and some old faces!

Ciao,
Mandisa