[MA-SOC] Breaking the silence...

Serdar Yegulalp serdar at genjipress.com
Sat Mar 6 19:56:04 EST 2010

Since things have been quiet on the list lately I thought I'd kick
things up a bit with some mention of stuff that's crossed my desk
recently...

Biomega, Tsutomu Nihei
http://www.genjipress.com/2010/03/biomega-vol-1-tsutomu-nihei.html

Yes, that's the same Tsutomu Nihei who gave us "Blame!" a while back --
which I thought looked great but had only as much story as was
absolutely required to get us from one plot point to another. This one's
in the same vein: dude on a bike with a kick-ass arsenal goes up against
a city full of zombies to rescue a girl. It's not terribly deep, but
sometimes that's not what you need...

Hundred Stories (Live-action)
http://www.genjipress.com/2010/02/hundred-stories-kousetsu-hyaku.html

If you're familiar with the series "Requiem from the Darkness", it's
adapted (loosely) from a novel by one Natsuhiko Kyogoku (of "Summer of
the Ubume"
[http://www.google.com/search?q=Summer%20of%20the%20Ubume+site:genjipress.com]
fame). This live-action version isn't as impressive as the animated
treatment, but it makes me that much more curious to see a translation
of the book itself.

Also, some new stuff showed up at FUNimation's streaming site:

"Dance in the Vampire Bund": My reaction to the manga was "hey, it's
pretty good"
(http://www.genjipress.com/2008/07/dance-in-the-vampire-bund-volu.html),
but the animated version of this "vampires in the modern world" story
plays some neat narrative tricks that I'd like to see more of throughout
the rest of the series. The way the whole first episode is executed is
brilliant -- it's a fake half-hour talk show -- although it does turn
more or less into business as usual after that. Still curious to see how
it shapes up after that.

"Oh! Edo Rocket": I watched about 3 or 4 episodes of this without
feeling like I could form an opinion of it, but the more I see of it the
more I like it. Instead of just doing a straight historical piece, they
took some period tropes and twisted them. Into balloon animals, no less.
Enjoying this one a great deal.