[MA-SOC] OT but useful: The Endless Hangul Drill

Jill Sophia viaparva at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:35:00 EST 2010

I recently added Korean 101 to the language courses I'm taking on LiveMocha
(all free, BTW).  The problem is that the LiveMocha speakers go so fast,
it's hard to hear what they're saying, and the vocabulary words are all
displayed in Hangul.  So I decided I'd better give myself a crash reading
course in Hangul before even attempting the LiveMocha course.  But LiveMocha
doesn't offer a Hangul course -- just several sets of flashcards with Hangul
characters so tiny that they're hard to read if you don't already know them.

Anyway, there are numerous other websites with charts of Hangul characters,
but I was having a difficult time memorizing the sounds they represent....
until I came across the following site:

http://www.aeriagloris.com/LearnKorean/

The "Learn Korean" title isn't exactly accurate.... it's more like "The
Endless Hangul Drill".  Here's how it works:  As soon as you access the
site, it gives you a random Hangul character, and you have to click on the
equivalent (or near-equivalent) English sound.  It will then tell you
whether your guess is correct or incorrect.  If it's correct, it gives you
another Hangul character to guess; if it's incorrect, the answer you chose
is dimmed and you have to keep guessing until you get the correct answer.
In the meantime, the site keeps a running tally of your score in percentage
form.  And it goes on.... and on.... and on.... as long as you wish.

Another neat thing about this site is that you can choose your own drill
parameters.  For example, if you click on the "Hangul" and "Roman"
indicators, you can toggle them to reverse the testing mode -- i.e., the
site will give you an *English* sound, and then you have to choose the
equivalent (or near-equivalent) Hangul character.  Below that are indicators
to choose which Hangul characters you wish to be tested on:  Basic Set, Full
Set (which includes combinations of characters), or just Vowels.  Below the
set indicators, you can select the number of possible answers to choose from
when you test yourself -- three, four, or five.  Finally, there's a reset
button so you can start from scratch -- although since the drill is
literally endless, it really isn't necessary to do so.

Of course, it probably isn't a good idea to come to this site "cold".  The
best thing is to check out one of the many sites with Hangul charts,
memorize whatever you can, and then test yourself with this drill.  I've
found that the more you use it, the more likely you are to remember the
characters.  As for sounding them out aloud, or writing them -- that's where
the actual language programs come in.  This is just a bare-bones drill, but
it's an exceptionally useful tool for practice.... and kinda fun too.

~ Jill ~

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT