[MA-SOC] Off-Topic: Protesting No LAN Support in Starcraft 2

Sean Su sean.su at sean.su
Sat Jul 4 03:54:14 EDT 2009

0) Let me make it clear, I am not for Blizzard excluding LAN play. I am for
pointing out that it will be easy to circumvent even if Blizzard decides to
exclude LAN play to allow LAN play. Will it require you to pirate? No. Will
it require someone to pirate a potentially illegally modified version of
B.net? Yes.

1) What I am saying outright is that _many_ people demanding LAN out of
StarCraft 2 are only doing it because they want to circumvent the B.net
checks is truth; the fact that I AM a pirate and have joined many LAN
parties just confirms it. You may be a special case but lets face it, a
location that doesn't have some internet connection nowadays are rare. Heck
broadband is the main reason why most traditional LAN parties have died out.

2) Blizzad isn't the only one; Steam doesn't support offline play, normally
a person must verify online with Steam every time they want to play any
game. Playing offline requires hacks. Furthermore you have to be online at
least once to perform all the steps which includes authenticating you
anyway. See here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-40841.html (this hack
also reportedly doesn't work anymore). Where is the ginormous outrage
against that? Many Steam games are not online based either.

3) CD checks takes like 2-3 seconds and are usually at loading the game.
It's not constantly reading content from the CD if you do a full install,
and nowadays there are no real space reasons not to considering how cheap
HD's are. If that is why you are cracking your games... sorry but I'm at
disbelief. You may be an isolated case but the majority of NOCD cracks are
obviously deployed by people pirating. The majority of those crusading at
this point are pirates just looking for a self-comforting excuse. I
personally have offered none other than the act of piracy itself. Yeah I
have pirated games in the past, I did it because I wanted a cheap thrill
without paying $60 for it. Not because I am a chivalrous knight that can't
suffer a 2 second CD check instead of voting with my money and not buying
the piece of shit (if indeed the game constantly checks for the CD).

4) The network code will of course find the closest nodes between you all in
a LAN so ping is reduced dramatically. It is also unclear if StarCraft 2 can
be disconnected after the initial connection like in some games with Valve's
Steam so that might be another issue to consider.

~Sean