[MA-SOC] Craptastic casting

Oneirophile at aol.com Oneirophile at aol.com
Sat Jan 31 01:58:53 EST 2009

Angry-making indeed!  And even if racism were not an  issue -- although IMHO
it is -- there is also the issue  of respecting one's audience by portraying
the characters as that  audience has visualized them throughout the course of
the animated  series.

Ever play the mental game of "fantasy casting" for a  live-action version of
your fav anime.... even if there's no chance of the  latter ever being
produced (and even if a live-action version of that  anime would be a bad idea in any
case)?  I do that quite often.  I've  sometimes imagined what a live-action
version of AVATAR would be like -- the  spectacular scenery, bravura martial
arts, beautiful costumes, and breathtaking  s.f.x.  And I *always* picture the
characters -- major and minor -- as  Asian, or Inuit, or Pacific Islander.  As
far as I'm concerned, seeing  Aang, Sokka, Katara, Zuko, and the others as any
other ethnicity would be  like.... well, like hearing Haydn's famous Trumpet
Concerto played on a  kazoo.  The notes might be correct, the performance
might be  perfect, but it just wouldn't sound right.

Klara / Boz makes a good point when she states that  the setting of AVATAR is
a fantasy world that doesn't necessarily  correspond to the continents or
nations of the real world.  But even in a  fantasy world, you've got to have some
sort of consistency -- and if that  consistency resonates with certain
aspects of the real world, then that  resonance should ideally be preserved.

For example:  While there is no such  place as Middle Earth (unless New
Zealand counts  ^_^), the world that  Tolkien created resonates with numerous
aspects of Medieval Britain.   So casting Asians or Africans as the main characters
of the LORD OF  THE RINGS films, while it might be interesting, wouldn't be
in keeping with  the Medieval British "feel" of the story.

In the same manner, casting Caucasians as the main characters  of AVATAR
violates the "feel" of the story, which is quite explicitly set in a  world that
resonates with numerous aspects of ancient China, Japan, Tibet, and  the Inuit
fishing villages of the Arctic.

There are some instances in which you can get away with ethnic  variations in
casting.  The best example would be Shakespeare's plays,  which have been
successfully produced all over the world with actors of a wide  spectrum of races
and ethnic groups.  (One of the best live productions of  MACBETH that I ever
saw starred a young James Earl Jones in the title  role.)  You can also do
successful ethnic reversals by taking a classic  story and transporting it to an
entirely different era or location; BLACK  ORPHEUS, which relocates the
tragic Greek myth to 20th-century Brazil at  Carnival time, is a beautiful example
of this.  And of course, getting back  to the theme of Shakespeare, there's
WEST SIDE STORY.... 'nuff  said!

But barring memorable exceptions of that nature.... if  the story and
characters resonate that strongly with a particular era  and culture, I think it's
generally a good idea to be faithful to the "feel" of  the original.

So even if there were gazillions of other great film  opportunities for young
Asian actors -- which, sadly, there are not -- I'd still  feel uneasy about
seeing my favorite AVATAR characters look so  radically different in
live-action from the way I'm used to picturing them  in animated form.

Just my 2 yen....

The Jillster

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS  ADERIT

In a message dated 1/30/2009 4:58:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,