[MA-SOC] Craptastic casting (was Re: OMG #2: Shyamalan'slive-action AVATAR: THE LASTAIRBENDER)

Klara Wahlster kgw216 at nyu.edu
Fri Jan 30 15:57:58 EST 2009

Frankly, yes, you still can. Avatar doesn't take place IN KOREA, or IN CHINA, but rather in the fictional Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation respectively. And the show also clearly takes place in an enviroment both geographically and historically ficticous as Tolkien's Middle Earth. I am *not* arguing that these places aren't heavily and obviously influenced by specific cultures.

One of my friend's brothers was a storyboard artist for the show, part of the fairly incestual Viacom pool, and I've had this argument with him too. You may have created a character to be as Korean as possible, but unless they're from Korea, they are NOT Korean.

Show me one official publication stating that these characters ARE certain nationalities instead of simply being based off others, and I will shut the hell up.

I feel like I need to repeat myself on this next point, but this does not interfere with my understanding of why the letter writing campaign is a good idea, nor do I disagree that Avatar would be truer to form if certain minority actors were used.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile