[MA-SOC] A bit off topic: Confirmed, the King of Pop helped produce music for Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Jill Sophia viaparva at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 22:14:24 EST 2009

Hi there Michael,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to my opinion
that your opinion on this subject is somewhat misguided.

Statutory rape laws have certainly been misused by the legal system.  But
drastically lowering the age of consent is not the answer.  It leaves
pedophiles carte-blanche for sexually exploiting children whose "consent"
may simply be the fact that they are either afraid to protest or have no
knowledge of their right to protect their own bodies.

How do I know this?

Because as a young child, I myself was molested by an older boy at summer
day camp.

Because I know two women who were repeatedly raped by their fathers as young
children, and I know how many years of post-traumatic agony and intensive
therapy these women went through in order to regain their self-esteem.

Because a man who was a friend of our family -- a politically conservative,
strait-laced, middle-class Jewish guy with a Ph.D. in chemistry and a very
nice wife -- was arrested for sexually abusing an 11-year-old boy.  (The
emotionally stunted genius said there was nothing wrong with what he did
because "the boy initiated it.")  This very proper individual also turned
out to be a regular on pedophile chat lines where -- among other things --
men discussed how they could best initiate sex with their kindergarten-age
sons.

As for blaming the Christian church for starting it all -- sorry, but you're
several centuries too late.  Long before pedophile clergy started to molest
altar boys, Greek, Roman, and Persian nobility were grooming little-boy
concubines (some of whom they castrated) for their version of "fun and
games" in the royal bedchamber.  And yes, many Catholic priests did molest
children in our era.  So did Protestant ministers.  So did Hindu gurus.  So
did rabbis -- sometime, take a look at the "Failed Messiah" website to read
about the cover-up in the close-knit Orthodox communities of New York, where
parents who reported the molestation of their sons by ultra-Orthodox rebbes
were threatened with shunning by the community because they had the courage
to tell the non-Jewish "outsider" police about this sexual abuse.

Now, let's talk about Buddhist clergy.  Do you think that none of the above
has ever gone on in Buddhist monasteries?  Wrong again.  One of the great
scandals in organized Buddhism, for many centuries, was the use of neophyte
boy-monks as "substitute females" by the older monastics.

Those who know me, know that I am a Jew by birth and ethnicity, a Catholic
by faith, and a student and admirer of Buddhism.  All of the abuses I have
described are dreadful, and its perpetrators deserve to be prosecuted to the
fullest extent of the law.  But you cannot tar all clergy with the same
brush just because many of their fellow clergy happen to be corrupt or
perverted.

And then there is the very real problem of human trafficking -- read the
facts, which you will find online on many legitimate sites.  Read about how
little boys and girls are purchased from desperately poor Third World
families to become the sex toys of wealthy First World men and women.  When
you read this, you may change your mind about what you just posted.

As for the King of Pop -- certainly one of the most talented performers of
our era, whose songs and videos I happen to love -- I am sadly inclined to
believe that the man was indeed a pedophile, perhaps because he himself was
sexually abused as a child.  But we will never know the truth now.  What we
do know is that he regularly invited the children of his fans to sleep with
him, alone, in his bed.  Did they just "cuddle"?  Was MJ so lonely, so much
of an emotional child himself, that he just needed reassurance?  Perhaps.
My heart goes out to him, and I know he contributed generously to numerous
children's charities.  But his personal life was a tragic train wreck, and I
for one would not have felt comfortable allowing a young child to share MJ's
bed without supervision.

Now I expect many of you to pillory me for expressing these opinions.
That's OK.  But I feel so strongly about the issue of child abuse --
particularly sexual abuse -- that this is one thread on which I just
couldn't remain silent.

With respect (despite our difference of opinion),
Jill

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT