[MA-SOC] How'd that Europe get in my Manga?!

saihitei at earthlink.net saihitei at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 10:26:04 EDT 2008

If you're going to MangaNext, join us at our panel on Friday evening from 9:00 - 10:30pm

--Angela & Mandisa

How'd that Europe get in my Manga?!

Japan's love affair with European culture explodes off the page, from the
stylized Vatican of "Trinity Blood" and "Hellsing", to the travelogue
intrigue of "Spice and Wolf" and "Monster". Britain alone has spawned a
host of series from "Read or Die" to "Emma". But where did this fascination with 'all things Europe' come from?  How did the idealized visions of Europe that we see in manga today come about? Where does fact end and fiction begin? Our panel will discuss manga and anime series that have an extra helping of European culture, and have an open discussion on audience favorites.