[MA-SOC] A different kind of Asian horror - "real" monsters of the Philippines!

Oneirophile at aol.com Oneirophile at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 16:29:31 EDT 2008

Mina-san,

Awhile ago I rented a truly stinky 1993 American horror flick called  ASWANG,
allegedly based on a Filipino vampire legend.  It was advertised as
"disgusting" and "shocking", but between the crappy acting and the truly  ludicrous
FX, it came across as merely silly and gross.  (This should not  be confused
with another film called ASWANG: A JOURNEY INTO MYTH, which I  haven't seen but
sounds a lot more intelligent from the online info.)

Nevertheless, ASWANG's underlying theme -- vampires who prey on unborn
children -- piqued my interest, so I did a netsearch for "aswang" lore and lo  and
behold, discovered that the filmmakers were pretty much on-target about the
legend.... though they apparently drew on "manananggal" lore as well.

Here's the "tinyfied" URL of a fascinating article by a writer who  claims to
have seen a real aswang as a child.  Suspend your disbelief for  some scary
fun.... but keep your mind open for lots of fascinating  details about
traditional Filipino monster lore:

_http://tinyurl.com/5m9lg4_ (http://tinyurl.com/5m9lg4)

Cheers,
Jill