[MA-SOC] NYAF

Oneirophile at aol.com Oneirophile at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 15:43:05 EDT 2008

Well, *I* am old enough to remember when the only anime available in the US
were series like CAPTAIN HARLOCK, GALAXY EXPRESS 999, and IKKYU-SAN.... and
those could only be seen during the evening Japanese segments on an obscure UHF
 channel (UHF being the "alternate channels" beyond channel 13, the primitive
 precursors of today's cable stations).

And personally, I can think of dozens of reasons to go to cons.... even for
those of us like myself who are neither encyclopedic anime experts  nor
cosplayers.  Those reasons include -- but are by no means limited  to -- the
carnival atmosphere, the fun panels, the screenings, the dancing, the  irresistible
insanity, and most especially, the camaraderie.  Sure, you do  run into the
occasional creep, but for the most part, the vibes are just  wonderful.  What
amazes me the most -- being one of the oldest (in  chronological age) attendees
at each con I've gone to so far -- is the  remarkable lack of "ageism" at these
events, and in the otaku community in  general.  Younger con attendees have
looked at me with surprise, with  curiosity, with admiration, and with rather
amused approval, but hardly ever (at  least from what I've observed) with a
"what are YOU doing here?" attitude.   And those positive vibes keep me young at
heart, and give me hope  for the future of anime fandom.

Kids today suck???  Many do, but certainly not most of the ones I've  come
across at cons.  The majority of our younger otaku brethren -- even  the wilder
ones -- impress me as polite, friendly, open-minded, helpful,  intelligent,
marvelously creative, and more than willing to teach "old newbies"  like me what
they know about anime and manga.

Being in a financial bind, I will probably not be able to go to another con
till the summer of 2010.  By that time I will be 60 years young, and I  know
I'll enjoy getting back to the con scene as much as fellow fans  many decades
my junior.

Kids today -- at least the ones in the anime/manga community -- ROCK!

Your Burukkurin buddy,
The Jillster
(World's Oldest Otaku -- and lovin' it!)

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT
("Bidden or not bidden, God is  present")

In a message dated 9/30/2008 5:45:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,