[MA-SOC] shinobi films:queestions (live action)

Mandisa Washington mandisaw at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 26 18:20:04 EDT 2008

>I actually like "Basilisk" a lot more than the live-action version, and I have a review that I wrote a
>while back which I need to repost in which I talked about why. The short version: sometimes what looks
>perfectly acceptable in anime looks just silly as live-action.

Yeah, unless you had seriously top-shelf movie f/x, 90% of the ninja-with-powers stuff would just have you rolling on the floor. I didn't see the live-action, but the "Basilisk" anime (dub) blew me away on DVD... anybody know if IFC edited anything? Only reason I never tried showing it at Metro was the strictly R-rated content.

I thought the Romeo & Juliet premise would be dull & cliched (and some of it was), but the character drama with the various members of the Iga & Koga clans was very well-done. Sometimes heart-wrenching, often darkly funny, but always good, and really drove home the "senseless, tragic violence" aspect. Wish they'd been able to do some English cast & crew interviews for the DVD.

>The "...No Mono" series of movies are a totally different breed -- they're classics of a kind, and were
>some of the first "serious" movies about the ninja mythology in Japan (if memory serves). Well worth
>checking out, in moody black-and-white no less.

Thanks for the tip - it's not always easy to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to Asian period dramas...

Peace,
Mandisa