[MA-SOC] Nintendo DS Game: The World Ends with You, or Being a Labelwhore Saves the Day!

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:59:01 EDT 2008

Michelle wrote:
> So *that's* how you play TWEWY?  Hee!  I just started role playing for the
> first time on LiveJournal, and one of us is playing Neku, a.k.a. Phones.
>
> Had no idea the character had to be so fashion-conscious to win.  (Not my
> kind of game!)
I saw Yatzee's review of The World Ends with You (see "Zero Punctuation"
at The Escapist website), he's not really a big fan of J-RPGs, but he
did try to give this one a shadow of the doubt.  Well, he didn't like it
that much and from the descriptions he gave of how hard it was to
control the game I don't blame him.  Controls came make or break a game,
its not the graphics the count but how well the game plays.  J-RPGs used
to be toned down for the US several years ago because players here would
find them to be too hard.  The Japanese like "hard" RPG games.  Case in
point, the original Final Fantasy released both here and in Japan were
really hard games.  Final Fantasy XI Online is a very hard MMORPG, and I
mean its a hard game.  World of Warcraft is a cake walk compared to the
things you gotta do in FFXI.  If you go into the game expecting Instant
Gratification that game will put you through a meat grinder, chew you
and spit you out only to chew on you again some more.  Its the MMORPG
that separates the men from the boys.  Despite its immense difficulty
its still a good game and at its heart it is a Final Fantasy game with a
full-fledged Final Fantasy storyline.

The Lunar series is also another really hard RPG series.  Originally it
appeared on the SegaCD then it came out on the PSOne.  You can still
find used copies at your local GameStop, or game store that sells used
games.  The remake for the PSOne is Lunar the Silver Star Story which
pretty much follows the same storyline but this time around Luna, one of
the main characters, isn't taken from you at the beginning of the game
like she was in the SegaCD original.  It was POSSIBLE to get stuck in
areas if you entered them when you weren't ready, so level grinding was
a large part of the game.  Basically, you wanted the forests looking for
monsters to fight to build up experience so when you moved onto the next
challenge you wouldn't get your ass handed to you.  Lunar 2, the sequel,
was released on the SegaCD and PSOne.  For both games the PSOne version
has real Full-Motion Video anime sequences for cut scenes with a remixed
soundtrack.  Lunar 2 can be found used at different stores and online.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home