[MA-SOC] AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER - I am hooked!

Oneirophile at aol.com Oneirophile at aol.com
Sun Jun 1 22:14:55 EDT 2008

Hiya kwill (what's your first name, BTW?) --

Thanks for your comments, and your validation of my contention that AVATAR
is a truly exceptional series.  I do remember a few of the other series you
mentioned, in particular GARGOYLES.... which, as I recall, had excellent artwork
 and some great voice acting.  (Maybe it's just my imagination, but I
believe Star Trek's Michael "Worf" Dorn voiced one of the major roles.)  I  even
remember one particular episode of GARGOYLES which dealt intelligently with  the
theme of xenophobia and racism in the U.K.

My rationale for calling AVATAR "anime" -- as opposed to the ones you
mentioned, which were definitely fine animated works in their own right -- is  its
extremely strong traditional Asian ambiance and folkloric themes.  And  I would
also cite the unmistakable influence of both Takahashi and Miyazaki  in
artistic design, character development, depth of thematic material, and
imaginative plotting.

Anyway, thank *you* for reading my note -- and I look forward to seeing and
discussing more wonderful AVATAR episodes in the future.

Peace & Pocky,
Jill

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT
("Bidden or not bidden, God is  present")

In a message dated 6/1/2008 1:02:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,