[MA-SOC] AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER - I am hooked!

Kendall Williams kwill691 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 1 14:01:41 EDT 2008

"MY GYM PARTNER'S A MONKEY is the cutting edge of 21st century TV animation."

ROFLMAO.

*Hah* <regaining composure, wiping tears from face>

But totally, AVATAR has to be one of the best animated series produced in the past 10 or 20 years.The storytelling & pacing, character depth & development, visual design and intelligent writing makes me forget sometimes that this is just children's animation.

I wouldn't go so far as to call AVATAR 'anime' because then I'd feel obligated to call any western animation this good 'anime'; the word (or rather the term 'anime') I feel would lose all meaning.

No, this series goes into that special catergory of children's animation, were shows like: GARGOYLES, FILMATION'S HE-MAN, SHE-RA, TEEN TITANS etc. will be remembered for years to come because the people that made them didn't pander to their target audience.

Personally, if everyone in Hollywood were like the creators/producers of shows like AVATAR, there would be far less dreck on TV now.

THNX 4 READING :-)

Composed by Dumnerd> From: Oneirophile at aol.com> Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:31:07 -0400> To: ma-nyc-soc at lists.baka.org> CC: malessio at optonline.net; dipitysprings at yahoo.com> Subject: [MA-SOC] AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER - I am hooked!> > A long time ago, after seeing the first couple of episodes, I recall posting > a note to MA-SOC about my high hopes for AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER. I'm > happy to say that -- after a long hiatus and recent rentals of Book Two: Earth, > Vols. 2 through 4 -- my hopes are more than fulfilled.> > My initial favorable impression of AVATAR was due to the brilliant artwork, > fascinating settings, and remarkable variety of ethnic influences (Chinese, > Japanese, Tibetan, Indian, Central Asian, Inuit, and probably a few others that > I just failed to recognize). But after having seen most of Books One and > Two, I realize that there is much, much more to this amazing series.... the > first major American work of animation that can truly be called anime (and > top-notch anime, at that).> > I'm referring to the characters' depth, complexity, and development over > time; the intricate plotting (with its numerous threads); the intelligent and > very natural dialogue; the psychological, spiritual, and sociopolitical themes; > and the way the viewer is drawn into the story and made to actually *care* > about what happens to Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, Iroh, Zuko.... and yes, even > non-human characters like Appa and Momo, both of whom have been given > distinct and appealing personalities> > I don't want to introduce any spoilers because I assume some of you may want > to take the AVATAR journey on your own. But I will say that with all of > AVATAR's characters in general (and Toph and Zuko in particular), Messrs. > DiMartino and Konietzko have created some of the most original and memorable > personalities to appear in an animated series since the protagonists of INUYASHA.> > The INUYASHA comparison, IMHO, is an appropriate one. In AVATAR, I see a > strong influence of both Takahashi Rumiko and Miyazaki Hayao. (It isn't always > subtle, either.... watching the "Library" episode, for example, you can't > miss the uncanny resemblance of the Knowledge Spirit to SPIRITED AWAY's > Kaonashi.) AVATAR's creators pay homage to both of the aforesaid masters, while > creating a richly detailed world that is uniquely their own. And, like many of > Takahashi's and Miyazaki's works, AVATAR is only a "kiddie" series in the > obtuse minds of network executives: It is far too complex, subtle, and > emotionally intense for young children, or (for that matter) adults who think that MY > GYM PARTNER'S A MONKEY is the cutting edge of 21st century TV animation.> > I'd love to go into more detailed discussion of the series, but again, I > don't want to risk spoilers, nor do I want to bore non-AVATAR-fans to tears. > I'd be happy to discuss it offlist with anyone interested. I also understand > that Book One: Water and Book Two: Earth are now available as DVD sets, and > Book Three: Fire will be released as a DVD set in September. I intend to put > all of these on my Amazon Wish List, and enthusiastically recommend AVATAR: > THE LAST AIRBENDER to anyone whose preferences in anime lean towards > intelligent, emotionally rich, character-intensive fantasy.> > Have a good weekend,> ~ JSF ~> > + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +> VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT> ("Bidden or not bidden, God is present")> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +> > > > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> _______________________________________________> ma-nyc-soc mailing list> ma-nyc-soc at lists.baka.org> http://lists.baka.org/mailman/listinfo/ma-nyc-soc