[MA-SOC] Maui Tacos vs. Zaro - one attendee's opinion

Oneirophile at aol.com Oneirophile at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 16:30:30 EDT 2008

I guess I'm biased because of my preference for Maui Tacos, but I have to
say that Ralph-san makes some good points:

*  "Beware-- that [free venue] could very easily change when they see the
space and  time we take up in practice."

Ralph's instincts may be right on target here.  My husband Richard, a
published poet who participates in various poetry groups' readings around  the City,
has told me that these cafes often pull a bait-and-switch of  exactly that
sort.  They agree to host a group's poetry readings for free,  even waiving a
minimum for food, and for awhile everything is fine.  Then  when they see that
the readings are well-attended and take up an increasing  amount of space --
and that many attendees don't necessarily order food there --  they suddenly hit
the poetry group with a venue fee AND a minimum order  requirement.  Richard
says it's happened before, more than once.  So,  as Ralph says.... beware.

* "Sincerely, I haven't seen a difference in attendance  between summer and
winter.  We get a boost after any major anime local  event where we plug the
club, such as the December NY Anime Con or the June  AnimeNext, but that
subsides in a few months whether it's warm or cold.  I  personally don't find the
temperature at Maui a big deal, but I'm more  temperature tolerant than most."

I too haven't noticed any drop in attendance at Maui Tacos during the  winter
months.... in fact, if memory serves me, attendance seems somewhat lower  in
the summer because people go on vacation, hit the beaches, etc.  I  personally
am LESS temperature tolerant than most, and I've done my share of  kvetching
about the cold at MT, but when all is said and done it really doesn't  spoil
my enjoyment of the screenings.  I wear a sweater under my coat,  order a hot
cocoa instead of soda, and splash a little extra chipotle salsa on  my food to
get the blood circulating.  Sure, I'd like it to be warmer  there, but as far
as I'm concerned it's a reasonable trade-off.

Besides -- other than the old saw about warm air rising -- what guarantee  do
we have that it will be any warmer at Zaro's?  Fuel being as expensive  as it
is nowadays, we may have the same problem there.

*  "Yeah, we do have a long-standing relationship with Maui, and that does
count  for something."

Again, I speak only for myself, but I'm very fond of the  Maui Tacos staff.
Manager Christine is a sweetie, she always says hello  when I see her there,
and she's even asked me how my son is doing (although he  hadn't come to a
screening with me for years).  And I'm sorry to hear  that Angela-san had a bad
experience with the staff inadvertently  sending back her order, but I assume
that was an isolated incident (every  restaurant makes mistakes sometimes).
Most of the time they are very  considerate about bringing orders downstairs
while we're watching.... and  let's face it, they don't HAVE to do that, but they
do.  I appreciate  that.

* "I prefer a darker environment for watching big screen,  even with a strong
projector."

So do I.  Whether at home, in a theater, or at a  screening, only a bare
minimum of lighting is required for convenience and  safety.  Anything more than
that, IMHO, interferes with the viewer's  visual concentration and focus....
especially when there are subtitles to  read..

* "I've actually discussed this with Christine, the manager  at Maui, and
she's been very tolerant of outside food, including letting us hold  a pizza
party one day without any in-store food bought.  If anything, I've  discouraged
the practice more than Maui has."

I remember that pizza party!  And as I recall, the MT  staff had absolutely
no problem with it.  I've walked in there with big,  very visible drinks from
Starbuck's, and nobody behind the counter said a  word.  I also remember
Disa-san bringing in a big box of her yummy homemade  muffins for us, other members
distributing chocolate, and me passing around  different kinds of Pocky.  In
none of those cases did we have to hide it  from the staff.

"Theoretically we could always go up to the bar upstairs at Maui,  but people
rarely do that.  I don't know why."

I  personally have gone upstairs, or even outside (e.g., to Starbuck's), at
times  when I really wasn't interested in a particular series being shown at
MT.   I would simply leave a book or an article of clothing to save my seat, and
came  back with no problem.  I've also chatted with other members upstairs --
at  the salsa bar, on line, etc.  Going to the MT bar is an option too, as
Ralph suggested.  We're not tied to our seats at either venue, and the  seats
on the other side of the mezzanine at Zaro's might be fully occupied by  other
patrons at times, so as far as I'm concerned the convenience (or lack
thereof) is about equal for both venues.

At any  rate, I don't want to belabor the issue so I won't post to this
thread anymore  -- unless it magically morphs into, say, a debate about the
comparative  adorableness of Giant Squid vs. Colossal Squid.  ^_^

Ja mata,
Jill

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS  ADERIT

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.