[MA-SOC] Missing "Osaka" booklet + ADV problems

Serdar Yegulalp thegline at optimum.net
Tue Jul 1 10:45:10 EDT 2008

Barely a day goes by when I don't see yet another example of how all this has wrecked a lot of things. When RightStuf had its recent Geneon sale, I went straight for the soundtracks. Geneon was a major licensor of soundtracks for the U.S. market, and now that they're gone, it's going to be virtually impossible to find them apart from paying murderous import prices. (I categorically refuse to download that stuff or buy Taiwanese off-license editions, for reasons that should be self-evident.)

The one bright spot I've seen is that maybe this stuff will be relicensed as legal downloads -- for instance, the "Vexille" score is available from both Amazon and eMusic in DRM-free format. But my hopes are not high. Soundtracks were, from what I can tell, a fairly marginal part of the anime scene, and what with all the overall belt-tightening going on it's not likely that they're going to ever be a big part of it again except for major tent-pole releases.

* * * * *
Serdar Yegulalp
thegline at optimum.net

My problems have become social rather than musical.
  -- John Cage, composer