[MA-SOC] All-points-bulletin for help (especially computer-related)

Oneirophile at aol.com Oneirophile at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 00:11:52 EDT 2008

Mina-san,

I recently wrote to a number of you about my current situation -- Richard
being in the hospital with a blood infection, and him coming home within the
next day or two, I will have to give him IV antibiotic infusions at  home twice
a day, every day, for at least the next six weeks.

I did this once before in 2000-2001, for ten weeks, when he contracted a
double blood infection after open heart surgery.  But I will have to learn  the
technique again, and this time Evan (who is now 20) will learn it as  well so
he can back me up just in case.

Needless to say, in regard to MA activities, I will unfortunately be
grounded till at least early or mid-October.... as I will be occupied with  Richard's
infusions for a large part of the day and evening.

I believe I can manage OK with the medical stuff.  But many of the  other
household tasks will become overwhelming, and in addition there is a  non-zero
probability that I too may need ambulatory intestinal surgery in the  near
future.  Since I am estranged from most of my extended family -- and  as Richard's
family has hardly any contact with us either -- we will need all  the extra
help we can get.... particularly:

-- computer debugging and general hardware & software  wrangling
-- housecleaning

-- organizing / de-cluttering
-- grocery shopping
-- moving furniture
-- bringing heavy items down to the basement for storage
-- household repair (right now, for example, one of our dresser drawers is
broken)
-- occasionally, car transportation
-- a willingness to put up with my kvetching

I place a great deal of emphasis on that first one.  While Richard  knows a
little about the tech aspects of PC, he is definitely not a techie per  se, and
neither is Evan.  As for me.... I am simply an old-fart Luddite  with
rudimentary e-mail and internet skills.

Our finances being in short supply, and Richard being unwilling to spend
even the little that we have on professional services, we have previously been
dependent upon Richard's best friend Stan (a high-level computer analyst and
techie) for PC troubleshooting and debugging.  However, Stan is an
exceptionally obnoxious, manipulative, insulting, and generally difficult person  who
happens to hate women (including his own wife), and I do not want to deal  with
him myself if at all possible.  I would vastly prefer one of my own  buddies to
be our computer wrangler in case the system goes  down.

So if any one of you would like to help us in that respect, while I cannot
pay you, I can promise you a grateful hug, lots of good karma, and possibly
even  lunch or dinner (at my expense) at one of our local ethnic eateries.

As for the other types of help I mentioned -- they too would be most
appreciated if you have the time and inclination.

If you can offer any assistance with any of the above -- even on just a
one-time basis -- that would be fantastic.  Please write to me *offlist* at  this
e-mail addy (_Oneirophile at aol.com_ (mailto:Oneirophile at aol.com) )  and I will
give you our phone number and home address if you don't already have  it, will
take your info if I don't already have it, and your assistance with  anything
would be most welcome and deeply appreciated.

If you cannot assist us with any of the above, that's OK too -- just  please
stay in touch so I don't feel so isolated.  That's  another major problem for
me right now.

Looking forward to hearing from many of you soon, I am....

Your struggling Burukkurin buddy,
Jill

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS  ADERIT

deal here.