[MA-SOC] Fansubbers are evil! Oh hell yeah....well maybe....but notexactly

Ralph Young ralphyoung at optonline.net
Mon Nov 26 08:48:07 EST 2007

I don't buy it.   Yes, cable made it economically feasible for anime to be
legally distributed to a mainstream American audience.  It also made it
economically feasible for Spanish bullfighting to be legally distributed to
an American audience, yet bullfighting hasn't caught on.  The fanbase was
created by the fansubbers, and cable just expanded something that already
existed.  Remember, cable was around for years before the current mainstream
fad.  The cable executives for Cartoon Network were persuaded by numbers
provided by the distributors regarding the preexisting fanbase they were
exploiting vut had not really nurtured.

Am I saying fansubbing is legal?  No, its not.  No matter how you cut it,
its a violation of the law proscribing how things are supposed to be done.
But I am saying that, with respect to the American anime "industry," it has
done more good than harm, and all the whining of the executives about how
fansubbers are stealing money out of their pockets doesn't change the fact
that if those fansubbers didn't exist that money wouldn't have made it into
their pockets in the first place.  If fansubbers are horrible beasts, the
industry execs are the fleas and tapeworms sucking the blood from those
beasts.  At worst, the industry people who bitch about the fansubbers being
theives are hypocrites.  At best, they are ignorant, self-deluding fools who
draw a sense of entitlement from the letter of the law without really
understanding how their own business works.