[MA-SOC] Fansubbers are evil! Oh hell yeah....well maybe....but not exactly

B Smith ifuritaoni at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 02:26:46 EST 2007

Dude....

I do not wish to contradict you but no matter how you
cut it, it's stealing in one fashion or another.

If someone breaks into your house and steals your
stuff leaving a note saying "sorry, but it's a
recession", are you going to nod your head in deep
philosophical understanding or are you going to be
pissed and say what you paid for is YOURS, end of
story.  Sorry but to advocate theft in any way - be it
digital or monetary or physical - is to my mind
totally wrong and inexcusible.

Unless you can tell me that on the grounds of
recession it's okay to pull up to the gas station, hit
the pump, then flee at top speed; I don't see how
anyone here can philsophically justify the theft via
internet of anime.  Please prove me wrong.  Go ahead.
(PS, this is not a matter of simply taking the moral
highground, considering I am a cocksucking faggot who
downloads too on some lvls....)

Now, getting to the point, when it comes to the otaku,
lets be frank...even being unemployed has RARELY
stopped the average fanboy/girl from hitting their
Pokemon/Yugioh tournements, buying their hentai/yaoi
mags/books, buying sheets of fabric for the next
cosplay, travelling to cons, buying that boxed set of
Guitar Hero III with wireless instrument, paying for
that Final Fantasy Online subscription, etc.  There
are tons more examples but you all know the drills and
you all know you've done yourselves at some point, so
that "it's the economy stupid" really doesn't hold
much water to the fanperson mentality or to the
teens/tweens who can nag their parents into
submission.

Can the distribution be better? Yes.  Can it be
cheaper? Well, can't everything?  Oddly enough I don't
see ppl saying "I'm gonna save money and not go to
Anime Fest or NY Comic Con" or something.  We ALL can
spend less and save a bundle by just giving up fandom
entirely but we don't...so like Pathmark, Texaco,
Exxon, NY/NJ Transit, why should they lower their
prices when they know we'll keep coming back?
Hell...all our jobs depend on others who are willing
fork out $$ to the company/institute/whatever that
write our checks.  I think it's safe to say none of us
are willing to take a salary cut to effect lower
prices and more business at our respective
companies...so why should the anime companies be any
less?

Because anime fans have this huge network a
bittorrenting and an attitude of "we don't need you
anime/manga companies".  Well...guess what, yes the
fansubbers helped start and continue to propagate the
fandom (hell, where else could i get all my yaoi and
Legend of the Galactic Heroes from?) but there's a
great deal of disrespect towards the legitimate
companies and disregard for the fact that the legal
companies helped push anime into the mainstream.  The
subtitlers have always catered and nurtured the core
fandom but things changed with the late 80s when
Robotech, Voltron, Thundercats and many other came on
the air...hell, enough so that a purely american
effort called "Exo Squad" was developed in the late
90s.

Ralph is correct that broadcast TV anime floundered
badly, suffering from local networks/affilates shoving
them all over the place.  What changed things -
especially for anime - was CABLE.  Anime could
consistantly be fed to the eager young minds based on
established schedules.  Guess what? THAT"S when anime
hit the mainstream.  With the internet hitting its
stride, fans are able to connect and share.  All
good..but it's because of the legit companies that
dubbed the stuff and put it on the air that this
happened...not because of the core fandom hunkering
over their computers watching their bittorrent ratios
or the more sociable fandom who met in small darkened
spaces where only the boldest dared to venture....

The companies deserve some respect and appreciation
for helping create the modern fandom, not be treated
as a hinderance or embarassment.  Yeah things Like
Naruto and Death Note and Bleach were crazes in the
fandom and fansubs long before they went "legit"; but
almost everyone IN the fandom are here because of
stuff that some company dubbed and put on the air be
it Robotech, Sailor Moon, dragonball, WHATEVAH.

The companies definitely need to be change their model
to more like TV on DVD where boxed sets are the
norm....but still, they deserve our support and
encouragement to improve, not our scorn and dismissal.

B Smith