[MA-SOC] OT: Did internet video kill The Dresden Files?

Richard Fung aoshi00 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 11:31:37 EST 2007

You know, if you're really a loyal fan, you should buy the individual discs that comes out every two months instead of buying the discounted thin pack at the end of a series's release run.

Maybe I'm just not used to the entired American anime industry thing, since I used to grow up in HK watching all anime on the airwaves for free.

I'm d/l'ing most anime "unsubbed" now, so I'm thinking myself as watching anime live from Jpn broadcast.  Otherwise, I don't know when the US would release "Eyeshield 21" on DVDs here.

The American anime/manga release is indeed slow, if I were to read Viz's YuYu Hakusho, I would still be on Vol. 11, instead of finishing the series back in 94. Video games however don't have as serious a problem as anime, here we get Wii's Mario Galaxy only 1 week after Jpn and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles at the same time.  Yes, I want to play or watch things when they're new, not two years or over later.  and for that people would pay extra if the release is timely.

Most of my expense goes toward Jpn manga in Kinokuniya, about $40/month on average (~5-6 books), but I blow big money on games, especially this month,...

Wii
Mario Galaxy -- $50
RE Umbrella Chronicles -- $50
Link's Crossbow w/ Zapper -- $20

PSP
R-type Tactics -- $25

DS
ASH/Archaic Sealed Heat -- $45
Bungaku Zenshuu -- $25

And probably more I don't remember... otherwise I imported 3 anime/game soundtracks (FF7 Crisis Core, Gurren-Lagaan, & EVA movie), so I don't know, those sales go to Jpn instead of here...

For my fav. shows though, I actually don't mind collecting them, I'm getting the DBZ sets by Funimation now, even though it's cropped in this "widescreen" version...

Oh, I'm reading the latest Naruto manga chapter every week online, not the scanlation, just the raw scans.  I don't mind buying a Shounen Jump for 4 bucks every week, but they take soo much room.  People in Jpn read them in restaurants for free anyway.

Yeah, skipping on the commercials saves lots of time, since that brings to an anime episode's time down to ~22 mins.   which is what I can afford every night.

Rich