[MA-SOC] Remembering Steve Pearl

Clyde Adams III clydesan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:49:35 EST 2007

I am sorry to hear of Steve Pearl's passing.  We knew each other only
slightly, and he was always friendly.

When I was a newbie anime fan in Ohio in the early 1990s, I mailed him a
diskette so he could load it with Ranma synopses for me; that was our first
contact.

I saw him at conventions.  We both attended each Otakon from 1995 through
2000, and several Katsucons in the same period.

The first time I met him up close and personal was at the Yaohan (now
Mitsuwa) Japanese shopping center in Edgewater, New Jersey, at the start of
a New York City Anime Tour (NYCAT); the one for Spring 1998, I think.

I ran into him at Otakon 1999 in Baltimore while he was talking to Steve
Bennett; when they saw me, each started to introduce me to the other one.  A
few minutes later, I took a picture of them together; here it is:

<http://conpix.org/otakon/1999/otk1999-087.jpg>

Steve Pearl is on the right, and Steve Bennett is next to him.  (I don't
recognize the guy behind them on the far left.)

(For those who don't know who quasi-celebrity Steve Bennett is, or how I
came to know him, that is a longish story for another time.)

Clyde
New York City Anime
http://nyc-anime.com/