[MA-SOC] Steve Pearl dead, was "Tis a sad day"

B Smith ifuritaoni at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 10:23:56 EST 2007

As interesting note on both the respect and
appreciation Steve Pearl garnered over the years, his
death was noted on today's postings in Anime News
Network:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-13/american-otaking-steve-pearl-passes-away

"Steve Pearl, the moderator of the online
rec.arts.anime.misc newsgroup from the late 1980s to
the mid-1990s, has passed away over the weekend. He
was also as the author of the rec.arts.anime.misc list
of frequently asked questions and the Anime/Manga
Convention Guide. In 1992, Pearl co-founded the
Atlantic Anime Alliance, a social group of anime fans
in the New York City area. He attended various
Northeast anime conventions, including every Otakon
from 1994 to 2000, as a fan guest of honor, and for a
time, worked as a consultant for NuTech Digital.

In 1995, former Gainax president Toshio Okada, who is
known in Japan as the Otaking, met Pearl at the Anime
East convention. Okada then bestowed on him the title
of the "American Otaking."

Pearl had been suffering from diabetes for a number of
years, and recently underwent a leg amputation."

Say what one will about him, he was one of the
pioneers of east coast anime fandom and respect shall
be paid.

-_-
B Smith