[MA-SOC] OT: Sweeney Todd movie

Oneirophile at aol.com Oneirophile at aol.com
Wed May 23 20:31:34 EDT 2007

Hey there Disa-chan!

I'm delighted to hear that at least one other MA'er will be running to see
this one.

I like the way you summarized the themes of SWEENEY TODD as "innocence  lost"
and "potential squandered".  To those I would add, "the perils of
vengeance".  With the possible exceptions of CABARET and CHICAGO, no other  major
musical has done more to shatter the standard Broadway cliché of  sweetness, light,
and the universal happy ending.  No spoilers here, but  the dark irony of what
ultimately happens -- and what *almost* happens -- to  certain major
characters in SWEENEY TODD is frightening in the  extreme.

You're right, at first it would seem that Johnny Depp is a bit too  young for
the role of Benjamin Barker / Sweeney Todd, whose daughter Johanna is
supposed to be about 17 years of age.  But then one realizes that, though  he
doesn't look it, Johnny's pushing 44 himself.  And considering  his demonstrated
versatility -- compare his diverse roles in EDWARD  SCISSORHANDS, ED WOOD, BLOW,
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, etc. -- with a little  makeup and a lot of natural
talent, Johnny could be entirely convincing as a  wild-eyed, slightly scruffy,
disturbingly sympathetic middle-aged homicidal  maniac.

My personal reservation would be regarding his musical numbers.   I haven't
yet seen the remake of CHOCOLATE FACTORY (being fiercely partial to  the Gene
Wilder version), so I don't know if Johnny sang in that one, and  therefore I
have no idea if he'd need a "voice double" for the role.   Remember, the role
of Benjamin Barker / Sweeney Todd is arguably one of the most  demanding
Broadway musical leads  -- requiring a fiery intensity of  personality combined with
a bravura operatic voice that spans both the  baritone and tenor range.
Johnny's got intensity up the gazoo, but does he  have the singing voice?

I've seen SWEENEY TODD three times onstage:  Once on Broadway with Len
Cariou, once more on Broadway with George Hearn, and once at the NY City Center
with a cast of extremely talented unknowns.  Although all three productions
were brilliant, the one with Len Cariou remains my favorite.  As far as I'm
concerned, no one but Len could deliver the razor-wielding show-stopper "These
Are My Friends" with a comparable level of vocal and emotional pyrotechnics....
the sort of performance that makes the little hairs on the back of your neck
stand on end, and your lips mouth the words "Oh.... my.... God!".

IMHO, that's the only problem with casting Johnny in the title role.   Those
who have seen SWEENEY TODD onstage -- particularly the Len Cariou  version --
will inevitably have that production in the back of their minds, and  will
naturally make a mental comparison.  Johnny can certainly live up  to Len's
dramatic performance, but it might be wise to have someone else (Josh  Groban,
perhaps?) fill in his singing parts.

I've heard of Helena Bonham Carter, but am not that familiar with her work
on film.  I know she voiced one of the leads in CORPSE BRIDE, and will be
playing the villainous Bellatrix in the upcoming HARRY POTTER & THE ORDER OF  THE
PHOENIX.  (Can't wait for that one either!)  Of course, Angela  Lansbury is an
incredibly tough act to follow -- as is Patti Lupone, who I  understand
played Mrs. Lovett in a recent stage revival of SWEENEY TODD.   From her photos,
HBC appears to be a very beautiful woman, which means they will  have to do an
even more extensive makeup job on her than on Johnny.

As for my beloved Alan.... *sigh*.... well, what can I say?  Heck, I'd
gladly shell out for front-row seats to see him doing a dramatic reading from  the
London telephone directory.  Personally, I think he'll be great in the  role
of Judge Turpin.  I agree that he's been typecast as a villain far too  many
times.... but that's because, let's face it, he does it so  damn well!  The
difference is that he usually plays a *sexy*  villain -- e.g., the Sheriff of
Nottingham, Hans Gruber, Rasputin, Severus Snape  (technically not a true villain,
but....) -- whereas Judge Turpin is anything  but sexy.  It will be
interesting to see how Alan plays a truly *repulsive*  bad guy.

Vocally, he is suited for the role as well.  Of course,  Alan's speaking
voice is one of his most notable features....  mesmerizing, mellifluous,
exquisitely seductive, pure hot chocolate.  But  his singing voice ain't bad either.
Check out TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY, a  delightfully touching little 1991
fantasy-comedy-romance.... especially if  you'd like to see Alan cast (for a refreshing
change) as an  irresistibly sweet, gentle, romantic leading man.  One of the
most  joyous moments in TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY -- which also happens to be one of
 the most joyous musical numbers in *any* film -- is his rendition of  "The
Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" as an ecstatic duet with co-star Juliet
Stevenson.  While Alan's singing voice may not be operatic or even trained,  he can
keep a tune, deliver it with warmth and passion, and make you  believe that
there's nothing he would rather do at that moment than sing.   So I look forward
to seeing Alan in SWEENEY TODD, and especially to hearing him  deliver songs
such as the "Pretty Women" duet, and that chilling  self-flagellation solo
which was censored out of the original Broadway  stage production (though AFAIK
retained on the original Broadway cast  recording).

One more reason to see the SWEENEY TODD film:  Apparently, the role of  rival
barber and snake-oil salesman Adolfo Pirelli has gone to none other  than
"Borat" himself, Sacha Baron Cohen.... a perfect choice!

PS:  Wish I'd seen that college production you describe.... ^_^

~ The Jillster ~
(hopeless pushover for blond, ponytailed mad scientists with panache)

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS  ADERIT

In a message dated 5/21/2007 10:58:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,