[MA-SOC] Assorted latest season anime stuff

Richard Fung aoshi00 at hotmail.com
Sun May 13 11:42:25 EDT 2007

The Claymore anime is indeed impressive, animation quality has yet to drop
even after 6 episodes so far.  I've read up to the latest manga vol. 12, and
the pacing of the anime is extremely fast.  There will be lots of plot
twists coming up, and I don't think it's like Vampire Hunter D at all except
the cool and gothic feel.

The other new shows I've taken a glance at but I don't have the time or
energy to follow them weekly.  "sola" & "El Cazador de la Bruja" have some
really good Opening and Ending songs.

While "Yoshimune" is way too SD and kiddish, there's another period comedy
that is action packed in the same setting called "Oh! Edo Rocket", I"m not
sure if it's been subbed yet.  The animation quality is unbelivable for a TV
show, it has a monster too and feels like "Shounen Onmyouji".  But I'm not
too interested since it's too colorful and busy.

Right now I have too many regulars to follow and so far I have only decided
to follow these new shows,

"Over Drive" -- about an unathletic boy who doesn't even know how to ride
bicycles joing the cycling club due to his infactuation w/ a girl (a little
bit like the beginning of "Slam Dunk").  Later on he discovers that he's
pretty good at this sport due to his pure determination and tenacity. Drawn
by studio Xebec (which just finished Busou Renkin), pretty good show.

"Hayate no Gotoku!" -- nothing revolutionary, a guy in a lot of debt somehow
gotten himself in the position of a "butler" for a rich household, and is in
charge of protecting of his mistress.  Anything goes and over the top comedy
w/ many silly references to the other shows (I wonder how many viewers
notice the "cosmos" from Saint Seiya) .  Yet I can't help myself but really
like this silly show, maybe it's because Sugiyama Rie (Al from Fullmetal
Alchemist) voicing the girl and Shiraishi Ryouko voicing Hayate..

"Victorian Romance Emma Second Act" -- the 2nd season to the forbidden
romance between a gentry class English gentleman and a common maid (voiced
by Touma Yumi).  I like how they concluded the first season when the story
got caught up to the manga and do another season after the manga has
advanced further, back then this really doesn't happen.

Other than these new shows, I'm too occupied by the regulars and dramas (I
dropped a couple of them because they're simply not worth watching),

Anime:
Tues - Death Note, D.Gray-man
Wed - Bleach, Eyeshield 21
Thurs - Claymore, Nodame Cantabile, Naruto Shippuuden
Sat - Blue Dragon (the anime is really not that good compared to the Xbox
360 game)
Sun - Gurren-Lagann (Gainax's new crazy robot anime)

Drama:
Bambino!
Proposal Diagakusen -- a guy attending a wedding of the girl he likes,
regretting why he isn't the groom standing at the altar.  What if he's given
a second chance to change things, what would he do differently to win back
the girl?  This is the Mon 9 drama of this season.
Watashitachi no Kyoukasho (Our Textbook)
Joudan ja Nai!
Dropped "Sexy Voice and Robo" -- I don't know about the manga, but the drama
is "unbelivably boring".

Rich