[MA-SOC] fan-dating and dating meet-ups at cons

Ralph Young ralphyoung at optonline.net
Mon Jan 15 21:08:06 EST 2007

I think a meetup is a worthy idea but ultimately it will end up with a badly
skewed male-female ratio; once you factor out the recent influx of
way-too-young girls the conventiongoer demographic leans to the male, and
that leaning gets more pronounced the older you go.

Ironically, since my last post this afternoon I went out on and returned
from a first date with someone new, a perfectly charming young woman I met
on New Years' Eve.  The date started off well but I could feel her lose
interest at some point over dinner, no reason I can identify. Despite her
comments to the contrary I'm not expecting to hear from her again.  In
itself, not that bad; but I've noticed a trend of fizzling first dates since
I returned to the dating pool in September.