[MA-SOC] Welcome to the NHK

Musa kidesco at msn.com
Sat Dec 15 21:10:18 EST 2007

The paranoia angle does come into play through out the series, he sees the little blue monkeys every time his hikikimori-ness starts to get the better of him, and its also very significant to the ending -- in fact I'd argue that its more then just an angle and that it plays very heavily into the underlying themes. The main character does eventually start to openly admit that he is in fact a hikikimori to.

*slight spoilers

As for the Welcome to the NHK / Genshiken comparison, which does get tossed around a lot, there is just way too much going on in welcome to NHK. Outside the "shut-in-gets-drawn-out angle", they do a very candid job of tackling topics such as spirituality and loneliness. Plus, the series explores a broader range of sub cultures in Japan; he becomes a MMORPG addict, falls trap to a pyramid scheme, and even accidentally gets caught up in an a suicide club.

Not to mention it has one of the most satisfying endings I've seen in an anime in years. Some people thought the series was a bit too depressing, but I think its mostly because we're so used to a story like this eventually being sugarcoated.