[MA-SOC] Welcome to the NHK

bhw barnabyhardlyworking at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 15 18:01:57 EST 2007

Does anyone here watch Welcome to the NHK? I just
finished disc one, and don't know what to make of it.
The whole paranoia angle was interesting, but it
seemed to be completely abandoned after maybe the
second episode. As an exploration of the whole
hikikomori phenomenon it had potential, but for the
fact that the guy keeps insisting that he's NOT "one
of them", and frankly the guy gets out of his
apartment more than I do!

So, minus the paranoia angle and the
shut-in-gets-drawn-out angle, what you're basically
left with is a Genshiken-like
justification-of-fandom-disguised-as-an-intro-to-it,
and in this regard Genshiken does a better job, if
only because it is more realistic to me that a
sheltered kid just entering college would not know
what doujinshi or hentai is, rather than a 22 year-old
guy who has not only been to college, but spends
literally all day watching anime or on the internet
anyway.

Still, it's a fun show and I'll probably finish it
(unless it really starts getting on my nerves), just
curious as to whether or not the whole paranoia angle
ever comes back in any significant way.

mike.

test'; ">