[MA-SOC] NYC Obon Festival

Richard Fung aoshi00 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:22:23 EDT 2007

When I was a kid, I used to pick up Jpn magazines too every once in a while,
just to gawk at all the pretty pictures printed on glossy paper, I still
have some old Super Famicom (Jpn SNES) mags, it's amazing to look at what
video games impressed us back then compared to all the photo-realistic
graphics now :)

Back then I would always envy not being able to listen to the radio shows
hosted by seiyuu, now some of them are even available on the internet.  The
only exception was Shounen Jump (or the occasional Sunday), me and my
classmates would take turns buying every issue so mainly we wouldn't miss
the latest chapter of Dragonball or Yu Yu Hakusho :)  of course we were all
semi-geussing too because we could only read half which is kanji, and
they're used quite differently too.

When I mentioned instant availability, I compared to before when magazine
staff would get a chance to preview shows months or years ahead of the
general public, so we could wait in anticipation for what good stuffs that
are about to come.  But nowadays, sometimes a Jpn site would be set up
before an anime airs, or I don't care much about preview when I could just
watch it on my own and decide.  Like now for most anime, I would just either
visit the Jpn site, read all the char bio/story/staff/etc. to get the gist
of everything I need.

I think video games mags/internet sites are a little different, since
sources would tell us when the new "Super Paper Mario" would come out, which
is today.. I got my copy but have no time to play yet.  I don't know, I
don't find myself longing for an unaired anime compared to the upcoming
video games (like I've waited Phoenix Wright 4 and Odin Sphere for months)..

Rich