[MA-SOC] Current Viewing (was Re: Death Note, Blue Dragon, Claymore, etc.)

Ralph Young ralphyoung at optonline.net
Thu Apr 5 21:33:10 EDT 2007

I want to check out Claymore but haven't yet.

Finished Soukou no Strain this week, I'm really not sure if I liked the
ending or not.  I have to hand it to S-Strain, though, it managed to
introduce several characters, make me interested in them, and then kill them
off, usually within the space of two or three episodes each.

I watched half of the "Welcome to the NHK" series a few months ago -- up to
the then-current state of its fansubbing -- and then forgot to update.  I've
gotten around to it again.  There is a cool story arc involving MMORPGs that
I found a hoot, especially in that the MMORPG in question was a thinly
veiled Final Fantasy XI (the only MMO I've more than fiddled with).

Speaking of MMORPGs, I still haven't seen the last two episodes of
.Hack//ROOTS.  Has anybody else read the novel .Hack//AI Buster?  I so want
to discuss its significance with another Hackophile but nobody I know has
read it.

On the manga front, Genshiken Vol. 8 released, and I'm pleased with the plot
development -- Genshiken being a laid-back slice-of-life comedy, its easy to
forget there actually is a plot, but there are developments.  Wishy-washy
Sasahara finally made a move with self-destructive Ogiue, and it played out
somewhat differently than I had expected it to.  I am intrigued by how the
story sort of rolled from a seriously shounen to a rather shoujo atmosphere;
I'm not sure if its deliberate or not.

Still irritatedly waiting for the 4th volume of Yotsuba& to come out.  Grrr.