[MA-SOC] ADV's so-called dominance (was Re: choosing animelegendsets)

Robert Kohr rob at kohr.tv
Thu Oct 5 00:48:46 EDT 2006

I have a question for you then since you have both.  I know for a
fact that Region 1 dvds are usually dual layer meaning that they hold
8.5 GB per disk.  Do the Region 2 Japanese DVD's hold the same?  I
remember back in the day when Blue Sub six was out in japan and was
released with one 30 minute episode to a dvd and then in the US later
they were released 2 to a DVD (still a rip in my estimation)  But
could it be that the Japanese just use regular DVDs and thats why
they have less content?  Also I think they might use a bit rate
closer to 8 MB per second where a lot of US stuff is 7 or lower.

Lots of VCD/DVDs from China/HK are region 0 anyway, probably not exactly
legit..

I think thats one of the hallmarks of a bootleg.  That or its by some
company called "Manga" or "Anime" or something like that and they
flash the company brand on the screen every 30 minutes or so.

As far as an expense do you suppose that there is more of a
collectablilty culture in Japan then in the US?  That and I think
they almost always have much smaller pressings of DVDs there then
here, thus making the price per DVD much higher.  I am guessing that
that is why a lot of R2 DVDs are in the 3700-5000 yen range per disk
as opposed to 15 - 25 USD

So has anyone spoke about ADVs download service?

Sincerely

Robert Kohr
animator / illustrator
Nick Jr. Online: