[MA-SOC] steam detectives

mandisa washington mandisaw at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 6 11:56:17 EST 2006

>Lets hear from Mandisa, our resident expert for all things Kia Asamiya.

>> hi. i was wondering if anyone saw steam detectives and thought if it was a
>> worthwhile series. i enjoyed both the Nadesico & Silent Mobius animes so
>> do
>> you know if this would be a good pick?

Heh, my reputation preceeds me. Steam Detectives is a good boy-detective series, with a pretty even mix of comedy and drama throughout. There are about 6 or 7 major recurring villains, that vary in the seriousness of their motivations, styles, and crimes. It ran in Weekly Jump, so it's younger-aimed than either Nadesico or Silent Mobius. I'd recommend watching through the first volume, since it's got a decent mix of the major villains and themes, and if you like it, rent the rest. (Or if you *really* like it, get the thinpak set for ~$40.) Oh yeah, I haven't finished the last disc yet, but the series ended prematurely in the manga version, so there might not be total closure (but then Asamiya's series usually leave a back door open).

*Shameless Plug* I have an Asamiya website, with a Steam Detectives section (hasn't been updated in a couple of years, though): http://www.flowerstorm.net/disa/Site-Nemesis/steamdetectives.html

Peace, Love, and Steam,
Mandisa