[MA-SOC] Bartender (was Recommend a plum wine?)

Ralph Young ralphyoung at optonline.net
Wed Dec 20 20:13:56 EST 2006

Segueing into a related topic, has anyone watched the new anime "Bartender"?
Its another prodigy-talent infotainment style anime, doing for mixology what
"Yakitate!! Japan" does for bread baking and "Hikaru no Go" does for Go.

The thing that makes Bartender stand out is that where most of the
infotainment animes I've seen have been at least partially comedic and aimed
at child amateurs starting out in a hobby, Bartender seems to be sincerely
aimed at a mature audience and, while the amazing bartending talents of the
protagonist are presented in an equally exaggerated way, the tone they seem
to be trying for is not over-the-top and loopy but semi-mystical and
serious.

Which is just downright weird.  While I have respect for mixology (and one
of my friends is a three-time World Champion mixologist and prepares drink
menus for vodka companies and hotel chains), the idea of presenting the art
of bartending as something sublime and mystical just is a little too much
for me.