[MA-SOC] utawaremuno

Richard Fung aoshi00 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 22 23:23:08 EDT 2006

Well, not familiar w/ your book, but Robert Cormier's books also have their
fair share of swearing, and as you know the Japanese language in and of
inself really doesn't have that many curse words.. for example, this famous
line in the "Chocolate War", just off the top of my head, because it made
quite an impact on me when I read it back in 10th grade,

*Sitting on the bleachers out on the football field*,
Obie: "You know, life is sad sometimes."
Archie: "Life is shit."

In the Jpn translation,
Obie: "Jinsei-tte no wa kanashii na.."
Archie: "Jinsei nante kusokurae da yo"

"Kusokurae" literally means "eat shit", but in a sentence, it's more like
"the Hell w/ that", or it has the equivalent meaning of English's "Fuck
that".. so it's like "F*#% life", so there you have it.

If you're able to read Japanese (a lot of you 'sound' like you do :P), chk
out this link below for two versions of Jpn tranlsations for some of the
passages, (2) is the "All ages" edition, and (3) is the jr./high school
student edition, they basically mean the same thing really.

http://www.aririn.com/plagma/rc-fan/choco.htm

Rich