[MA-SOC] utawaremuno

Richard Fung aoshi00 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 21 21:39:37 EDT 2006

Sometimes I wonder about too, no big groups doing some certain popular
series, like "Gintama", so I have  to collect raws instead because I know
the other nameless groups that are doing it are no good.  Or "Emma the
Victorian Romance" from last year, there was only this one group called
"Iichan" that subbed it, they scanlated the manga, so I figure it would be
safe, but no, after watching the first two episodes, it's obvious their sub
is just wrong, so I had no chocie but to collect raw as well.  "Incorrect"
sub is just distracting, and I don't mean in the ways of presentation (font,
typo, etc).

Even though "Static" is not a big big group, I've seen many series that were
subbed by them and they were flawless, "My Hime", "Mai Otome", "DanDoh" (the
Shounen Sunday Golf anime), the Third.
I'm not trying to boast or anything.. but I've seen my fair share of fansub
and know clearly which group can translate, so I'm only offering friendly
suggestions.  Anime Empire (Yakitate!! Japan) wasn't always the best, if
you've watched the Slam Dunk sub ages ago, that wasn't too good because that
was based on Chinese VCDs.  Or "AonE", usually it's pretty good, but
sometimes it could get too literal... I just dug out this trailer they
subbed for Xenosaga Episode II Jenseits von Gut und Bose, there were two
scenes that were mistranslated because the translator must not be familiar
w/ the contents at that point.. one is when KOS-MOS was saying "Shion ga
Yondeimasu", the sub says "Shion is calling you", but it should be "Shion is
calling 'ME'".  Or when Momo was trying to warn the others when Albedo was
trying to hack into her w/ the Encephelon Dive, Momo says "Kore wa Wa-na"
(This is a trap), the sub says "This is W-O-N", careless and honest mistake
by the translator.. but it just makes you go "What?"

I don't know, I"m just suggesting which groups I have absolute confidence
in, like "Mushi-shi", have to go w/ ANBU, they subbed Ichigo 100% too, but
only up to ep 5 or 6.  If you don't understand Jpn and only a sub-par group
is doing it, then it cant' be helped.  There are countless of examples I can
list, but I don't want to bore you guys.

Rich

Rich