[MA-SOC] how was otakon?

Serdar Yegulalp thegline at optonline.net
Tue Aug 8 15:42:40 EDT 2006

> The social workshop was very poorly run, if you ask me. The
> two guys who ran it wasted an hour or so grouping everyone by
> random numbers and figuring out that they need to make
> everyone pick numbers out of a hat for a "speed date". I got
> the impression they had no clue what they were doing. Oh
> yeah, and a speed date that requires a one hour wait? Irony!

I personally witnessed and heard second-hand about a number of panels and
workshops at Otakon that were being very badly run.  The 3D graphics
workshop was a washout -- they didn't even have the correct software loaded
on the computers in question.  A friend of mine who went to the Kingdom
Hearts panel reported that the girls who were running it were very badly
prepared and were panicking at the sheer size of the turnout; she wound up
co-chairing the panel with them and being invited to come back to do the
same next year.

Back in '05 the panel on religion and philosophy in anime was also a mess.
The presenter was very badly organized, skipping from one subject to another
with no coherence, and ended the panel by inadvertently insulting most of
the people there (I can't for the life of me remember the exact context, but
it was one of those things where it was probably intended to be a
well-meaning piece of advice to all present but it ended up sounding rude).

* * * * *
Serdar Yegulalp
thegline at optonline.net

My problems have become social rather than musical.
  -- Composer John Cage