[MA-SOC] how was otakon?

Ofer Hirsch Gill ohg200 at nyu.edu
Tue Aug 8 15:36:43 EDT 2006

Hello,

The social workshop was very poorly run, if you ask me. The two guys
who ran it wasted an hour or so grouping everyone by random numbers
and figuring out that they need to make everyone pick numbers out of a
hat for a "speed date". I got the impression they had no clue what
they were doing. Oh yeah, and a speed date that requires a one hour
wait? Irony!

Worse yet, we get to the speed-date portion they were promising and
the first and second girls I finally get to talk to walk out on me
because they're bored by the event, or so they said. Actually, a lot
of people (men and women) got bored by the one hour wait and left. I
was one of the few with patience. In the end, I made the final list
for a woman that stayed till the end, but she ended up not choosing me
anyway (mainly because of age, she was 18, and was disturbed by the
fact that I'm 26...). Oh, and no, nobody smelled. (Thankfully!) But
most of the people there were in the 18-19 range and considered me an
old fogie, so that sorta sucked for me... Interesting note: Almost
every woman wanted to pick the guy who cosplayed as Captain Sparrow
from Pirates of the Caribbean. (I guess I'll never know what women
want and I'll die alone. Oh well, at least I've got my anime and video
games to keep me company...)

Needless to say, that workshop was stressful. I actually felt more
relaxed at a job interview, probably because company managers
typically waste less time than those organizers at the social
workshop. I could've used the two hours of the social workshop to
watch anime, hang out at the artists alley or game room, or spend an
extra $100 on junk at the dealer's room. That social workshop was
clearly the worst thing I've attended at Otakon. I think I might make
good on joining OtakuBooty as Danny suggests... Couldn't be a worse
waste of my time than that workshop... Speaking of job interviews,
I've passed an actual job interview. I have work right here in
Manhattan! Hooray! At least something is going my way!

Zoe, if you're eager to run a social workshop, then please please
please come into the event prepared! (For example, bring a hat, a
pencil, and plenty of small pieces of paper if you want people drawing
random numbers from a hat.) It sucks for everyone if you're preparing
stuff on the fly while the workshop is going on and everyone is
present and waiting for you to finish. Oh yeah, and it wouldn't hurt
to require registration in advance before attending. (This will
prevent people from walking out on the event in the middle of a speed-
date. It really hurt when those ladies walked out on me because they
were bored by the event. I was bored too, but I was willing to duke it
out in order to increase my chances at finding love... Yes, men DO get
hurt when they're stood up...)

- Ofer