[MA-SOC] Steamboy [was: Review on Amazon Japan]

erin at pop.netculture.org erin at pop.netculture.org
Mon Mar 21 13:12:37 EST 2005

I saw the subbed Steamboy this weekend and liked it a lot!  I'm totally
going to go and see it again on the MA-SOC excursion on the 31st (plus I'm
bringing a friend from out-of-town).  It is the 31st, right?

Without any spoilers, I'll try to give you my brief opinion:

Basically, if you like movies where people are pulling levers and turning
valves, and pipes are bursting and gears are flying everywhere, you'll
love Steamboy.  Likewise if you love shocked Englishmen, and steam punk
adventures, you'll love Steamboy.

If you're expecting bloodspray and violence and beheadings, forget about
it.  There's a conspicuous lack of blood in this movie.  There are violent
situations galore, and plenty of opportunities for scalding burns or lost
limbs that just don't happen.  That's why reviewers (and myself) are
confused as to whether or not this is a children's film.  For the lack of
bloody violence, it seems like it's meant for a younger audience.  It's
almost as if someone is holding Otomo back.  In scene after scene thick
metal cables snap off and whip around and ought to sever people in two,
but it just doesn't happen.  I didn't really mind the lack of gore, since
there were plenty of other good things happening in the film, but it does
weigh heavily as a lack.

That said, throughout, Steamboy seems like a pretty ideal film for
10-year-old boys.  I like a lot of 10-year-old boy stuff, so this film
really appealed to me.

If you're looking for a strong morals though, don't bother.  Steamboy is a
ridiculously amoral film.  None of the characters are "good".  At best,
some of them are chaotic neutral (or lawful neutral).  You get the real
sense that Otomo is jealous of Miyazaki's amoral villains and has tried to
do something along those lines.    I can't say much more about this
without spoilers, but it makes for a great discussion after the film, to
say the least.

The film is also lacking a great score.  Akira had a magnificent score
(that I've listened to way more often than I've seen the film), but
Steamboy has a weirdly generic score.  It doesn't really stick out enough
to be bothersome, but at the same time you feel the lack of a wonderful
soundtrack.  Everything else is so well done that you can feel the
composer dropping the ball.

Akira had a lot of moments of confusion (for me as a viewer).  Steamboy
has some things about it which are a bit confusing and weird, but whereas
Akira lumps most of the crazy at the end, Steamboy has laid out the crazy
in a thin layer paced well over the course of the film.

In many ways, Steamboy seems weirdly like a predecessor to Akira, in both
it's historical setting and also in terms of Otomo's restraint.  But it is
a worthy predecessor.

Steamboy has a lot of really terrific spectacle.  The backgrounds are
wholly magnificent.  2-D and 3-D mesh nearly seamlessly.  The first 20 to
30 minutes of the film have a spectacular action sequence that made me do
cliched things, like "sit on the edge of my seat" and say it "took my
breath away" and all that.

I can't say that the entire film kept up the pace of the first 20 minutes,
or that the ending was 100% satisfactory - indeed, it seems to run a bit
long.  I thought for sure it was well over two hours, even though it
wasn't that long.  But I was never bored... in fact, I think I'd feel
gypped if the movie was any shorter.

In conclusion, I'm seeing this again on the big screen for a sort of
"Kiki's Delivery Service" effect - Kiki's, while not my favorite Miyazaki
work, has awesome backgrounds that are worth seeing on the big screen.
Steamboy has wonderful backgrounds that I want to be sure to see on the
big screen (again).