[MA-SOC] Really Old School {WAS: Re:a question to anyone andall:fav. an...

Ralph Young ralphyoung at optonline.net
Wed Jul 13 22:37:10 EDT 2005

Does anybody else remember the American adaptation "Marine Boy" (known in
Japan as "Kaitei Shonen Marien")?

This, along with Speed Racer ("Mach Go Go Go"), is one of the two first
anime series that I ever watched.  Whereas Speed Racer retains a very
sizable cult following to this day (anybody see the Speed Racer Geico
insurance commercial?), Marine Boy seems very nearly lost to history.  It
was broadcast in America in the very early '70s by Seven Arts Television and
featured American voice actress Corinne Orr (Speed Racer's Trixie) as the
voice of both of the main characters, Marine Boy himself and Neptina the
Mermaid Girl.

Marine Boy fought criminals under the ocean, he had a red-orange diving suit
that stretched up the sides of his head but did not cover his hair.  He had
sticks of special gum that provided him with oxygen underwater as he chewed
them, and he hung out with Neptina the Mermaid and an annoying dolphin.  He
threw boomerangs at bad guys.  I believe I was in kindergarten at the time,
but even then it registered with me that Neptina was pretty hot, and if I
remember correctly like Disney's Ariel her clothing consisted of nothing
more than a clamshell bra.