[MA-SOC] 12 KINGDOMS / ROMANCE OF 3 KINGDOMS, etc.

Ms. Sakaki ms.sakaki at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 12:06:18 EDT 2005

On 8/28/05, Mokuren20 at aol.com <Mokuren20 at aol.com> wrote:

> I've seen 12 Kingdom and know the history of Romance of Three Kingdom plus
> I've seen the anime of it too.
> It's TWO VERY DIFFERENT series.. nothing alike and nothing in commons.
> 12kingdom is not base on history, while Romance of 3kingdoms are. Well, um
> er..
> yeah not at all alike.

Yup - Twelve Kingdoms is based on a series of novels. And yes, the main
character is really annoying at first, but if you stick with it, she turns
out OK. I'm on DVD volume 7 right now, and volume 6 was worth wading through
the rest of the series.

In a message dated 8/27/2005 6:20:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> Oneirophile at aol.com writes:

Secondly, he asked me if I knew anything about SAMURAI GUN,

Samurai Gun looks action packed from the trailer, but it's hard to say if it
might be any good beyond that. If your friend watches it, I'd like to know
if it's good or not. I might rent it.

also told him about the generally glowing reports of GHOST IN THE SHELL.

I recommend Ghost in the Shell in this order!!

1. Read the original manga - it's only one volume. There are a couple of
pages of some rather explicit nudity at one point, but hopefully that won't
bother you, and it only happens once.

2. Watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The first DVD is kinda
dull, but once it starts in on the Laughing Man arc it frigging rules!! The
second-to-last episode almost made me cry. It's great.

3. Then watch the first and second theatrical movies. At this point, they'd
make sense. The older movie can be really boring if you haven't read the
manga - and the newer movie, Innocence, is very talky at pretentious. Which
isn't to say I didn't like it. I tend to like things that go over my head.

4. Eagerly wait for the release of Stand Alone Complex: Second Gig as it
comes out this October. I've only seen two episodes from it but bother were
great and on-par with the first Stand ALone Complex series.