[MA-SOC] NATURAL TOFU Review [WAS: Re: Proposed Restaurants, PLEASE VOTE!]

Daniel Lee DanielL at Review.com
Mon Aug 8 10:08:14 EDT 2005

Yeah the name is misleading. They have all the usual dishes. I'm
somewhat new to NYC and this is one of the cheapest in Manhattan that
I've found. I love the Neng Myun Kalbi Summer special. You get an order
of cold noodles with Kalbi on the side. Perfect summer food ...

Also when you order meat, you can order with duk (steamed rice cake) to
wrap around your meat besides the usual lettuce. I thought this was only
on the west coast.

There's this place called Golden Dragon, Kum Ryung, that has
Korean-Chinese dishes that are pretty cheap. I believe they make their
own noodles. I've had the spicy seafood noodle dish and black bean sauce
noodles and they were pretty good. Of course, the best I had is still in
Flushing.

-----Original Message-----
From: ma-nyc-soc-bounces at lists.baka.org
[mailto:ma-nyc-soc-bounces at lists.baka.org] On Behalf Of
Oneirophile at aol.com
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 8:51 AM
To: ma-nyc-soc at lists.baka.org
Subject: [MA-SOC] NATURAL TOFU Review [WAS: Re: Proposed
Restaurants,PLEASE VOTE!]

Hi Angela, et al --

Well, guess what, I ate (solo) at NATURAL TOFU after the meeting, and it
was
*incredible* and *cheap*!!

For starters, not everything has tofu -- the tofu casseroles are just a

subset of their dishes, which also happen to include BBQ of all kinds.

Since I'm not a red-meat-eater, I personally ordered a vegetarian tofu
casserole, specifying "medium spicy" (they give you a choice, ranging
from "very
spicy" to "no spice".  I didn't know what I was in for!  First, a  bowl
of rice
and eight large side dishes were placed at the table....  including
kimchi,
sesame oil flavored broccoli, marinated rice cakes, sweet  black beans,
wheat
gluten, spiced bean sprouts, spiced octopus (their idea of  "vegetarian"
is
apparently flexible, but I do eat seafood), and an egg.   Then the
casserole
itself, rich and bubbling-hot, in a ceramic tureen.  The  waiter ....
who BTW was
otaku! .... asked if I wanted egg in that, I agreed, and  he broke the
egg
into the casserole and showed me how to stir it in.   Everything was
*delicious*,
and there was so much food I could hardly finish  it.

The price?  A big *$8.95* for the feast, plus $2 for a can of  soda.
The
total tab came to about $11 and change, plus tip.  Now  that's what I
call a
bargain!

For future reference, tomodachi-tachi, please try the place.... you will

love it, and so will your wallet!

Your resident foodie and Burukkurin buddy,
Jillster

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS  ADERIT

In a message dated 8/7/2005 8:55:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,