[ACML] Supporting Possible Political Controversy (Opinions Please!)

Rob Barba shinzakura at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 23:37:07 EDT 2011

Simple:  if you're at a con that's a 501(3)(c) non-profit, the answer
will most likely be "no."  That kind of stuff is a good deal verboten to
cons.

 From http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=96099,00.html

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code,
an organization must beorganized
<http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=175419,00.html>andoperated
<http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=175421,00.html>exclusively
forexempt purposes
<http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=175418,00.html>set forth
in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings mayinure
<http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=123297,00.html>to
any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be
an/action organization/
<http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=120703,00.html>/,
i.e.,/it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part
of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity
for or against political candidates.

Granted, it may not fit the exact bill above, but I'm more than willing
to bet a lot of cons do not want the headache associated with it.  Of
course, that's my two cents, but regardless of the validity (or not) of
the issue, such is the case.

ja ne,
-Rob