[ACML] "Yaoi Paddles" - What are your experiences?

Mike Beargie generation_otaku at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 14:55:59 EST 2006

Actually, the yaoi paddle does have clear origins, but nobody has
ever talked with Bryan from Hen Da Ne to find them out, or moreso,
nobody ever really cared.

The Yaoi Paddle was originally made by an artist that specialized in
Pyrography (woodburning). Said artist had befriended Bryan's group of
vendors through experiences with them at many-a-con. Eventually, a
working relationship and friendship developed between the artist and
Bryan.

One week before a show as the artist was walking through a craft
store, he saw a craft sized boat oar in the unfinished woodcrafts
aisle. In a momentary lapse of better judgement (according to some)
or a flair of pure genious (according to others), the Yaoi Paddle was
pictured as a gag gift to be made for Bryan, a vendor notorious for
yelling out slangs of "Red Hot Yaoi Action" and the like in dealers
rooms throughout the country.

After a brief conception of a crude design, and another period of
production time, the original Yaoi Paddle was completed. The gift was
bestowed to Bryan at their next meeting, and Bryan proudly displayed
his gift in stride throughout the weekend.

Saturday night at the con brought the Hen Da Ne group and artist
together over dinner, to which Bryan proclaimed that the Yaoi Paddle
was now a coveted item of Yaoi fans, whom have offered hundreds of
dollars to own it. Discussions of mass production over pizza and beer
led to the inevitable commercial marketing of the Yaoi (and
subsequently the Yuri, Hentai, Seme/Uke, etc..) Paddles, making it a
staple of convention pop culture, in a love/hate relationship of
course.

So that's it, it was a gift, meant as a joke, that turned out to be a
good chunk of business for a smaller adult-centric dealer. With what
Hen Da Ne sells on their tables (yaoi and hentai doujins, H-games,
etc..) wouldn't you expect the yaoi paddle to be classified as an
adult item as well?

Yeah... now you know at least... Anyhow, I am that artist, (
http://akicafe.deviantart.com ) and do I regret being responsible for
this items creation? Maybe, sometimes I am, but for the most part,
I'm surprised that it has gotten any more attention than what it was
meant to be, a gift, for a friend....

As for a course of action to take, it's only as harmful as the person
holding it. I'm guesstimating that there's thousands of paddles out
there by now, so banning them outright would be like banning bokken,
shinai and all of that. I'm sure that in the near future there will
be someone that gets made an example of (like the lady who broke the
one miscreant's paddle), but before you jump over fences, make sure
you see what's on the other side.

Have fun, and play safe.

--- In animecons at yahoogroups.com, Patrick Delahanty <animecons at ...>