[ACML] CFP: "Girls and Science" Manga from Feminist Press

Erica Friedman yuricon at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 24 14:05:18 EDT 2006

Please feel free to disseminate this portposal to anyone/ any list or media
source you think might be interested....

***
Call for proposals

Girls and Science

The Feminist Press, in collaboration with The National Science Foundation,
is exploring new ways to get girls and young women interested in science.
While there are many library resources featuring biographies of women
scientists that are suitable for school reports, these are rarely the books
that girls seek out themselves to read for pleasure. What would a book, or
series of books, about science that girls really want to read look like?
That is the question we want to answer.

You’ll find several requests for specific proposals at our website. One
calls for scientific detective stories based on the life, research, and
discoveries of real women scientists. Another calls for stories featuring
real young women—aspiring gymnasts, ice skaters, actors, dancers--using a
knowledge of science to help them become really good at what they do. A
third recognizes how popular Manga and graphic novels are with girls, and
asks for imaginative new collaborations between Manga writers and artists to
create adventures about girls who use real science to accomplish their
goals. If any of these three book ideas interest you, please check out our
website (www.feministpress.org) for more information about deadline and how
to submit proposals.

But we do not want to limit our exploration. If you are a writer and have an
idea for a book or series of books that is guaranteed to get girls excited
about science, we want to hear from you. You may want to create a girl
detective series featuring a set of friends—from geeks to sports nuts to
mechanical geniuses--each with a knowledge of science that helps in solving
crimes. You may want to create a story about a shy girl who goes on field
trips with her favorite aunt, a forensic anthropologist, and helps to solve
problems as she learns to think like a Dr. Bones. You may want to tell the
story of a young science fiction writer who needs to study different fields
of science in order to create her adventures. Whatever your vision, if you
can write like a dream and can create works that are guaranteed to instill a
curiosity about science in girls and young women, send us your proposals. We
want to hear from you.

All proposals will be reviewed.  Several proposals will be offered standard
contracts.

Publisher: The Feminist Press at City University of New York as part of a
National Science Foundation grant.  (see feministpress.org)

Deadline: October 31, 2006

Format: Proposals should describe the project, the plot, characters, and
length.  No more than ten pages please.

How to submit: Electronic submission (word doc) to fhowe at gc.cuny.edu with
the subject line “Girls and Science.”  Please include in the body of your
email your address, phone number, email address and a short bio. Please also
attach a brief sample of your writing (about five pages), and a resume that
includes information about publications..

***

Cheers,

Erica

Looking for yuri manga where the girl gets the girl? ALC Publishing has what
you want!
http://www.yuricon.org/shop/

http://www.yuricon.org